Saturday, December 17, 2011

The cutest Candy Cane Cupcake (with striped buttercream) ever!

Ta- Daaaaaa!


Ta- Da!! Im so excited I had to say it twice! I finally put all the componets for this cupcake together. It took over 3 years, but here it is.

I posted a pic in 2008 on Cake Central of a cupcake like this. To this day, again over 3 years later, I still receive requests asking how to do the stripe and can I share the recipe.

Here is the buttercream stripe tutorial I posted previously. This will show you exactly how to make the stripe.



I honestly dont know exactly what I used at the time, but I assure you my skills have improved since then and the recipes I used this time are wayyyyyyyy better.

For the cupcake, I used a very easy, one bowl recipe:

Ingredients

3 cups AP flour

1 1/2 cups unsweetened cocoa powder

3 cups granulated sugar

1 Tablespoon baking soda

1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

1 1/2 teaspoons salt

3 eggs

1 1/2 cups warm water

1 1/2 cups buttermilk


3/4 cup vegetable oil

1 1/2 vanilla extract


Preheat oven to 350 and line muffin tins.

Sift cocoa, flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt into the bowl of a stand mixer. Using the paddle attachment mix dry ingredients until uniform in color. With the mixer still on low, add eggs, water, buttermilk, vegetable oil and vanilla. Continue to mix until smooth, about 3 minutes.

I use a 2" ice cream/cookie scooper to get the batter into the cupcake liners. The batter will be loose at this point. No worries, its supposed to be.

Bake for about 14-18 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.

Cool on a wire rack before removing.

Step one complete, you're doing great!




Step 2: White chocolate candy cane ganache

I used a 2:1 ratio. What does that mean right? Easy peasy

I had an 11oz bag of Ghirardelli classic white chips so I used 5 1/2 oz of heavy cream.

Get it? If 11oz represents the 2 in the 2:1 ratio, then I need the '1' in the 2:1 ratio to be half of 11oz of heavy cream, which is 5 1/2 oz. Get it? I hope so. If not, please ask and i'll happily help in any way that I can.

Ingredients for white chocolate ganache:


11oz bag of white chocolate chips

5 1/2 oz ( or 2/3 cup) heavy cream

candy canes- I used 4 crushed and it was just enough.

Put the chips in a heat proof bowl.

Heat heavy cream just to a boil ( you dont want a rolling boil because you dont want the chocolate to seize)

Immediately pour it over the chips.

Let it stand for 1-2 minutes so the heat of the cream can melt the chips.

Then stir until smooth.

Put it to the side and allow to cool.

Once cool, mix in chopped/crushed candy canes.



Moving on to the incredible peppermint marshmallow buttercream. Of you have no idea how amazing this smells while you're making it. If you make it you will ;o)


Ingredients for amazing marshmallow buttercream:

16 oz tub of Fluff - or marshmallow cream


16oz butter ( or 4 sticks or 2 cups)

1 lb of powdered sugar

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Cream butter and powdered sugar until fluffy. Add Fluff and vanilla, mix until smooth.

** If you are specific about the consistency of your buttercream, you can mix the butter and the Fluff first and add powdered sugar until you reach the desired consistency**


Line up your cupcakes and core each one. I used a small pairing knife, but you can easily use an apple corer or even a large pastry tip. Whatever works for you.


Fill the holes with the white chocolate ganache. I poured the ganache into a pastry bag and cut the end. I find I have better control and its less messy. You can use a spoon or even a small scoop.


If you think that was fun.......you're gonna flip for the next part!


Strip the buttercream bag. You can see my other previous pictorial


After you've striped the bag and added the buttercream, make cute swirls on each cupcake.


I hope you make these cupcakes because I KNOW you will not be disappointed!




Do you have a favorite way to frost/ top a cupcake? I'd love to hear what it is.

Have fun!

Jess















2 comments:

Norma said...

Thanks for sharing Jess. I'm definitely going to give this a try. Looks so pretty and festive!

JessDesserts said...

Thats great Norma. I'd love to see a pic when you make them!